Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) funding available*
RIIMPO320E Conduct civil construction excavator operations
(superseded by and equivalent to RIIMPO320F)
Our excavator operations course is nationally recognized giving you the skills to operate an excavator in the civil construction industry. The training will also qualify you for earth moving jobs in the mining, construction and agriculture industries.
Our industry Trainers and Assessors will provide you with high quality, flexible and reliable training, giving you hands-on real-world skills to meet the highest standards of safety and compliance in the industry. Our trainers and assessors in Queensland will ensure you are site ready and have the necessary skills and knowledge to safely and efficiently undertake work in a range of working environments.
Verification of Competency (VOC) courses also available.
Our nationally recognised Excavator Operations course will provide you with the necessary skills to operate an excavator across many sectors including the civil construction, mining and agricultural industries.
This training in its current form, meets the criteria of the unit of competency requirements.
An excavator is a self-propelled tracked or wheeled vehicle, that can move a minimum of 360 degrees with an upper structure. This is performed through movement of a bucket fitted to the boom where the machine can excavate, lift, swing and discharge materials.
This unit of competency will teach you how to operate an excavator by planning and preparing for excavator operations, using the appropriate attachments to transfer materials, relocating the excavator, conducting maintenance checks and finally undertaking housekeeping tasks.All aspects of this course will be taught at our training facility in Brisbane through written and practical teachings. The course content will include, but is not limited to;
- Operating an excavator using the appropriate attachments and knowing their characteristics, capabilities and limitations.
- Transferring loads safely by using relevant lifting gear and communication signals.
- Potential hazards, risks and environmental issues and the measures used to control them.
- Emergency procedures including fire, evacuation, first aid and material safety data sheets.
- Mathematical calculations for estimating work loads.
- Conduct operational checks and report faulty plant and equipment in accordance with isolation procedures.
- Relocation of the excavator between work-sites and the appropriate traffic management requirements
- Housekeeping activities and maintenance of the excavator
- Understand manufacturer's specifications, work instructions and site plans
On successful completion of this course, applicants will be competent in carrying out the following duties;
- Calculate safe working loads and interpret site information such as structural charts and plans.
- Identify hazards and risks and apply safe work practices.
- Document information regarding excavator procedures and operations.
- Knowledge of the different soil types and compaction for civil construction
- Effectively communicate with everyone in the workplace and ensure proper use of visual communication including signs and barriers.
- How to choose the correct attachment for the work being carried out.
- Various techniques used to complete civil works such as boxing and cutting, backfilling, stock piling, trench excavation and many more.
- Follow isolation procedures when dealing with defective equipment and report accordingly
- Comply with the relevant Australian standards, codes of practice and site instructions.
On completion of the Excavator Operations course, the successful applicant will acquire the skills to safely operate an excavator in various situations that arise within the civil construction industry.
Ascent Training Solutions will issue you with a nationally recognised Statement of that will allow you to operate an excavator in many worksites within Australia.
Our highly skilled trainers and assessors at Ascent Training Solutions will provide you with the confidence and assurance necessary to gain future employment in civil construction and beyond.
Depending on prior knowledge and experience, our courses are run over 2 - 5-days involving high quality face to face and logbook training at our training yard in Brisbane.
Onsite training and assessing is available at your company location however, in such cases, we would conduct an inspection of the equipment that will be used to ensure the safety and conditions of the equipment is ideal for on-site training and meets the requirements for assessment.
Full course fee is to be paid prior to the commencement of formal assessment.
Payment plans are available through Humm formally known as Certegy Ezi-Pay, contact us for further details.
All payments can be made using Direct Debit, Visa, or Mastercard. In the case of a failed payment or dishonoured transaction, the enrolment of the candidate will be suspended. In such cases, you can seek a transfer to another course.
You can find more information about our booking process, enrolment and payment policies in student handbook.Refund Policy
Kindly refer to our student handbook for more information on our refund policy.
Our focus is not limited to providing you with industry knowledge and developing the required skills. We ensure you have the confidence and capability to apply the knowledge and skills to real life construction jobs.
On successful completion:
- You will be issued a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment
- Personalised wallet sized Operators Card with the unit of competency listed
- Industry knowledge and skills to operate an excavator.
Subsidies are available for eligible candidates through Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ). CSQ is an independent industry-funded body supporting employers, workers, apprentices and career seekers in the building and construction industry. CSQ provides funding for QLD based eligible workers as specified in the Building and Construction industry (portable Log Service Leave Act 1991 (link to https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/pdf/inforce/current/act-1991-090 )
More information regarding subsidised training courses and eligibility can be found here (link Here to https://ascenttrainingsolutions.com.au/construction-skills-queensland-csq-courses/.)