Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) funding available*
RIIMPO324E Conduct civil construction grader operations
(superseded by and equivalent to RIIMPO324F)
Our nationally recognised grader course will give you the knowledge and skills to operate a grader in the civil construction industry. Generally used for cutting, spreading and levelling materials the grader is also utilsed for ditching, scarifying soil and cutting of bank canals. The training is designed to be flexible and focused on the needs of the individual and would qualify you for roles in the mining and civil construction industries.
Our industry Trainers and Assessors will provide you with high quality, flexible and reliable training, giving you hands on real-world skills to meet the highest standards of safety and compliance in the industry. Our trainers and assessors will ensure you are site ready and have the necessary skills and knowledge to safely and efficiently undertake work in a range of working environments.
Verification of Competency (VOC) courses also available.
Our nationally recognised Grader course is designed to give students the knowledge and practical experience to operate a grader in a safe manner within the civil construction industry. At Ascent Training Solutions, our flexible trainers provide a detailed training plan for students in a small class environment.
The training in its current form meets the criteria of the unit of competency requirements.
A grader is a heavy-duty machine consisting of a long adjustable blade used to create a smooth and level surface. Graders are most commonly used in the construction and maintenance of roads preparing the surface for the laying of asphalt.
This unit of competency will provide you with the necessary skills to plan and prepare a job, operate a grader from pre-start to shut down, select the relevant attachment for the task being carried out, relocation and maintenance of the grader and finally keeping a clean work area.
All aspects of this course will be taught by our accredited trainers through written and practical teachings at our onsite training facility in Brisbane. We can also provide training at an outside location provided all relevant equipment is available. Course material will include the following;
- Necessary documentation to ensure grader operations are completed in a compliant way.
- Understand site plans, drawings and work instructions.
- Potential hazards associated with grader activities and necessary control measures.
- Appropriate personal protective equipment when operating a grader
- Interpreting emergency procedures
- Pre-starts and shutdown procedures
- Traffic management plans
- Technical capabilities and limitations of the machine and equipment
- Choosing attachments that are relevant to the specific job
- Understand manufacturer’s instructions and specifications
- Communication techniques both written and verbal in the workplace
- Isolation procedures and documentation of defective equipment
- Maintenance of the grader and clean up of the work area
On successful completion of this training, applicants will have the ability to demonstrate the following;
- Documentation of grader operations in compliance with work activities.
- Conduct before and after operational checks of the grader to ensure it is running efficiently.
- Operate the grader in a safe manner including refuelling of the machine.
- Understand different types of soil and ground conditions relevant to grader operations.
- Apply safe work practices to avoid potential risks, hazards and environmental issues.
- Perform grading techniques such as levelling, scarifying, trimming pavements and cutting batters.
- Choose, fit and remove appropriate attachments for various jobs and store in a designated area.
- Maintain equipment and record faulty equipment according to isolation procedures.
- Communicate effectively with others to get the job completed in an efficient manner.
- Control and isolate traffic when required.
- Calculate safe working loads
- Comply with relevant Australian standards, codes of practice and site-specific instructions.
On successful completion of this course, Ascent Training Solutions will issue you with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment and operator card that will allow you to operate a grader in many jobsites across the country.
Our highly knowledgeable trainers at Ascent Training Solutions will give you the support and confidence required to gain employment across various industries specifically in civil construction.
Depending on prior knowledge and experience, our courses are run over 2 - 5-days involving high quality face to face and logbooktraining.
Onsite training and assessing is available at your company location however, in such cases, we would conduct an inspection of the equipment that will be used to ensure the safety and conditions of the equipment is ideal for on-site training and meets the requirements for assessment.
Full course feeis to be paid prior to the commencement of formal assessment.
All payments can be made using Direct Debit, Visa, or Mastercard. In the case of a failed payment or dishonoured transaction, the enrolment of the candidate will be suspended. In such cases, you can seek a transfer to another course.
You can find more information about our booking process, enrolment and payment policies in student handbook.Refund Policy
Kindly refer to our student handbook for more information on our refund policy.
Our focus is not limited to providing you with industry knowledge and developing the required skills. We ensure you have the confidence and capability to apply the knowledge and skills to real life construction jobs.
On successful completion:
- You will be issued a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment
- Personalised wallet sized Operators Card with the unit of competency listed
- Industry knowledge and skills to operate agrader.
Subsidies are available for eligible candidates through Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ). CSQ is an independent industry-funded body supporting employers, workers, apprentices and career seekers in the building and construction industry. CSQ provides funding for QLD based eligible workers as specified in the Building and Construction industry (portable Log Service Leave Act 1991 (link to https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/pdf/inforce/current/act-1991-090 )
More information regarding subsidised training courses and eligibility can be found here (link Here to https://ascenttrainingsolutions.com.au/construction-skills-queensland-csq-courses/.)