Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ) funding available*
RIIHAN309E Conduct telescopic materials handler operations
(superseded by and equivalent to RIIHAN309F)
The Telescopic Materials Handler or Telehandler course is nationally recognized, giving you the skills to operate a telehandler in the civil construction industry. The training will also allow you to use this versatile machinery for lifting and carrying materials in a range of industries including mining and agriculture industries.
Our industry Trainers and Assessors will provide you with high quality, flexible and reliable training, giving you hands-on real-world skills to meet the highest standards of safety and compliance in the industry. Our trainers and assessors will ensure you are site ready and have the necessary skills and knowledge to safely and efficiently undertake work in a range of working environments.
Verification of Competency (VOC) courses also available.
Our telescopic materials handler operations course, also known as a Telehandler will provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to operate a telehandler within the construction and agricultural industries. At Ascent Training Solutions, we provide a detailed training plan for students in a small class environment and in some cases on a one-to-one basis.
The training in its current form meets the criteria of the unit of competency requirements.
A telehandler is a vehicle with a telescopic boom, fitted with a lifting attachment that can extend forwards and upwards. A telehandler can have several different attachments on the end of the boom including a bucket, forks, muck grab or winch making it an extremely versatile lifting machine.
This course will give you detailed training on how to plan and prepare a job, conduct pre-start and operational checks, choose appropriate attachments when transferring loads, shut down procedures, maintenance of the machine, relocation of the telehandler and finally keeping a clean work area.
All of these activities will be taught by our highly qualified trainers through written and practical teachings at our on-site training facility in Brisbane. The course material will include the following;
- Hazards, risks and environmental issues associated with telehandler operations
- Operating a telehandler using safe operating techniques
- Appropriate personal protective equipment for the various work tasks
- Pre-start, operational and shut-down procedures associated with the telehandler
- Importance of communication in the workplace specifically with the Dogman
- Effective communication procedures such as signage, hand signals and written instructions
- Safe working load calculations to avoid workplace hazards
- The various attachments available and their uses.
- Site-specific traffic management plans.
On successful completion of this unit, the candidate will have the skills to demonstrate the following;
- Record and maintain both written and verbal requirements relevant to the operations and procedures of the telehandler.
- Compute safe working loads and basic earth work calculations.
- Recognise the characteristics, capabilities and limitations of the telehandler.
- Conduct operational checks and report any faults accordingly.
- Select appropriate attachments and lifting gear for the task being carried out.
- Relocate the telehandler between work sites in conjunction with traffic management procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers, supervisors and all other employees in the workplace and ensure appropriate methods of communication with the dogman are adhered to.
- Understand the requirements of the relevant Health and Safety organisations, regulations and safe working procedures.
All aspects of this course are vital in completing your Telehandler training. On successful completion of this course, Ascent Training Solutions will issue you with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment that will allow you to operate a telehandler across many work sites within Australia.
Our highly accredited trainers and accessors Ascent Training Solutions will ensure you receive the highest level of training necessary to gain employment in various sectors specifically the Construction and Agricultural industries.
Depending on prior knowledge and experience, our courses are run over 2 - 5-days involving high quality face to face and logbooktraining at our training yard in Brisbane.
Onsite training and assessing is available at your company location however, in such cases, we would conduct an inspection of the equipment that will be used to ensure the safety and conditions of the equipment is ideal for on-site training and meets the requirements for assessment.
Full course feeis to be paid prior to the commencement of formal assessment.
All payments can be made using Direct Debit, Visa, or Mastercard. In the case of a failed payment or dishonoured transaction, the enrolment of the candidate will be suspended. In such cases, you can seek a transfer to another course.
You can find more information about our booking process, enrolment and payment policies in student handbook.Refund Policy
Kindly refer to our student handbook for more information on our refund policy.
Our focus is not limited to providing you with industry knowledge and developing the required skills. We ensure you have the confidence and capability to apply the knowledge and skills to real life construction jobs.
On successful completion:
- You will be issued a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment
- Personalised wallet sized Operators Card with the unit of competency listed
- Industry knowledge and skills to operate atelehandler.
Subsidies are available for eligible candidates through Construction Skills Queensland (CSQ). CSQ is an independent industry-funded body supporting employers, workers, apprentices and career seekers in the building and construction industry. CSQ provides funding for QLD based eligible workers as specified in the Building and Construction industry (portable Log Service Leave Act 1991 (link to https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/view/pdf/inforce/current/act-1991-090 )
More information regarding subsidised training courses and eligibility can be found here (link Here to https://ascenttrainingsolutions.com.au/construction-skills-queensland-csq-courses/.)